Bancroft Hall at the United States Naval Academy is the largest single dormitory in the world. Bancroft Hall, named after former Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft, is home for the entire brigade of 4,400 midshipmen, and contains some 1,700 rooms, 4.8 miles of corridors and 33 acres of floor space. All the basic facilities that midshipmen need for daily living are found in the hall. It is affectionately referred to as “Mother B” by Midshipmen. The Hall has been air conditioned since 2003. Room capacity ranges from double occupancy to quads.
All our campers are housed together in one wing of Bancroft Hall. They are roomed together by age group. Rooms are configured to hold 2, 3, 4 or 6 campers. We have a finite amount of each type of room.
The beds are configured as lofts located directly above a work area. Each work area consists of a desk, drawers and closet spaces. One of the closet spaces can be secured with a pad lock that you bring from home. This can be used to secure any valuables such as a wallet, cell phone, Ipad, etc. Although there is no rule against electronics, please keep in mind that there is no internet access in the rooms. Additionally, cell phone reception can be spotty at best while in Bancroft Hall.
Each room has its own shower and sink space. Toilets are located in the bathroom facilities on each floor. Note, the bathrooms are all labeled as "Heads".
Each room has a fixed capacity (2, 3, 4 or 6 man rooms). As you can see in the picture, the beds and furniture are permanent fixtures in the room. We can't "add a space" to a room nor can we exceed the listed capacity of each room as doing so would create a hazard in the unlikely event of a fire.
Some basic rules that campers and midshipmen alike have to follow.
1. Never wear a cover (hat) inside the hall.
2. Do not wear cleated shoes in the hall.
3. You must wear your Navy issued reversible at all times.
4. Appropriate shoes or flip flops are required at all times.
5. The door to your room must remain propped open until lights out.
6. No lacrosse can be played in the hall
7. No lacrosse balls are allowed in Bancroft Hall.
8. When entering into another persons room you must first stand at the door way and ask permission to enter. You may enter only when permission is granted.
9. Windows are to remain secured (closed) at all times.